Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Sound and the Fury

I just started this so-called Faulkner's masterpiece today. First impression: it's interesting and captivating, not boring as I (almost always) expected from a classics. But it's really really a tough read. I read thoroughly until page 50 and then had to stop because it became muddy and it would be pointless to continue.

Then I googled and found the Cliffnotes, learned the plot, the characters, the chronological order. It became much clearer. But I have to read again from page 1 while comparing with the notes. Now I'm coming to page 40. And have a little headache. :(

Anyway, it's seem a very good book. It's difficult but not impossible to grasp and I think I could cope with it, especially when I pass the toughest part (80 first pages of monologues by a mentally retarded who cannot tell past from present).  So, 40 pages to go for that crazy part. Come on! Even the sentimental women Oprah's readers can consume it, (sorry if you are a combination of womanhood, sentimentality and Oprah reader).

I will tell you when I finish (if I could).

 

No comments: