Sunday, April 16, 2006

Lord of War



Tagline:

The President of Liberia: You know, they call me the Lord Of War. But perhaps it is you.

Yuri (the Russian immigrant arm trader):  It's not "Lord Of War," it's "Warlord."

The President of Liberia: Thank you, but I prefer it my way.

Impressive movie. Great performance by Nicolas Cage. Fantastic opening scenes and very nice soundtrack. Interesting political drama. I rate it 7.8/10. I like it better than Hotel Rwanda, which is a very good but predictable political drama. Lord of War is more ironic, sarcastic, sometimes even funny, morally controversial and persimistic.

I guess the President of Liberia character is based on Charles Taylor, who is standing for trial now in his country. This guy looked handsome, studied in US before with a bachelor degree in economics and was infamous as one of the most brutal killers in Africa.

Four rules for arm traders set by Yuri:

  1. Never get shot with your own merchandise.
  2. Always have a fool proof way to get paid.
  3. Never pick up a gun and join your customer.
  4. Never go to war. Especially with yourself.

No comments: